Now that it is a new year, Warm Springs to the Northern Boundry is closed till April 21st. With that said, there is still plenty of fishing to be had on the Lower Deschutes. The Maupin area will stay open year round. This last Thursday I got an opportunity to go Chuckar hunt and fish around Beavertail with some buddies. Chukar hunting was poor so I exchanged waders and a spey rod for the shotgun. It was the last morning and my expectations were low. I started fishing this one run, and about five minutes into it my reel started peeling. Seconds later, a steelhead came bursting out of the water. I fought and landed what seemed to be a late push fish. Still chrome, this wild fish was beautiful. After releasing the fish, i was only about halfway through the run. I kept fishing towards the tail out and again my click pawl reel started screaming. Again, I was rewarded with another wild fish. I reeled up to go enjoy a cigar in the sun. I was so satisfied as it was so quiet down there on the river. The wildlife on this trip was amazing as bighorns were hanging out on the road. It is definitly late in the steelhead game but there are still roaming around before they get to it!
Trout fishing for redsides can be decent this time of year as well. Look to fish small Bwo's and little mayfly nymphs under a stonefly. Time will fly by, and soon enough will be back to fishing the Warm Springs area.