Saturday, June 15, 2013

Crane was coming on.

I fished Crane with John, Rick, and Wes with high hopes last Friday, especially when I got a ramp-side report from a couple of folks I respect that the day before was excellent in calm conditions.  Although we had a steady 10-15 of wind, the guys are all good fly casters, so that wasn't nearly as much of an issue as the whitecaps making effective indicator fishing anywhere mid-lake nearly impossible.  Given the rollers, we spent a fair amount of time casting and stripping buggers and leeches with surprisingly little to show for it.  Knowing when to say "when", we switched it up and fished chironomids in the shelter of the trees, and that resulted in very bright, 14" kokanee and a few 'bows to 6+ lbs.   Considering the conditions, it was an excellent day, and I think Crane will continue to come on as soon as the wind and cool weather move on.