Monday, May 14, 2012

Introduction & First Fishing Report

Hey all,

I'm Nic Reid, Fly & Field's newest guide.  I come to you by way of Colorado most recently, but I am a native Oregonian, having grown up in Ashland.  Most recently, I have been guiding fly fishing trips on the Colorado, Arkansas and Blue Rivers out of Summit County, Colorado.  I can't tell you how excited I am to join the team at Fly & Field and be back in Central Oregon and on the Deschutes River where I spent a good deal of time fishing when I lived in Bend in years past.

Now to the good stuff...my wife and I did an overnight trip from Warm Springs to Trout Creek on the 12th and 13th.  We put in right around noon on day 1 and did about 5 miles of the 10 mile float the first day.  Had some decent luck fishing the islands, with most of our action on steelhead and salmon smolts.  They were taking stonefly nymphs (Pat's & Jimmy Rubber Legs) in black and brown, and Copper John's as our terminal flies.  We fished a two-fly setup most of the day.

We made camp at Grassy Camp and did some dry fly fishing in the evening, but we didn't have much luck.  Not much of a hatch, although we did see loads of salmon flies hatching and clinging to the tall grass on the banks, our efforts to raise fish on stonefly dries was for the most part unsuccessful that evening.  I guess the fish just don't believe they are out there yet...wait till they start falling from the skies in hoards!




Day 2 fishing was a bit better than the first day with a few more fish at each stop and more red sides.  We were behind 8 boats on the 1st day, but out in front on the 2nd, which made a difference.  We fished early, but the bite didn't really turn on until 10am or so.  The order of the day was a Two Bit Hooker as our terminal fly.  Size 12-14.  Had a couple of eats on the Chubby Chernobyl, but they seemed to be turning it down more often than not.  Always fun to see them flash on it, though, and exciting for the near future.