Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Salmon Flies, Grass Bommies and 20-Inchers

Fishing has been improving a TON on the Warm Springs to Trout Creek section of the river over the past week.  I fished down there on Wednesday, May 23d and saw top-water action really starting to improve as the Salmon Flies start to mate and fall off of the riverside grass and trees.  I was fishing a dry dropper rig with a #6 Black Jimmy Legs under a #6 Chubby Chernobyl with a golden body and a white wing for most of the day and did well on both flies.

Fish were slow to take the top-water offering until after noon, but didn't hesitate from the get-go on the big nymph offering rolling across the bottom.  I primarily fished very close to the bank as the Salmon Flies have begun their migration to shore and the fish have been quick to follow.  Again, under trees and next to grassy banks is the way to go.  Just look for where there are thousands of Salmon Flies clinging to the grass bommies and you'll know where to fish.

Hooked this guy in the picture in a sneaky little spot that looked to hold only one fish (he's a 19 incher), but I was surprised when I rose his larger brother on my next cast in the same hole, who was well over 20 inches.  On the whole, action was good all day long.  I expect that the Salmon Flies will begin flying soon, maybe over Memorial Day Weekend, as the weather gets warmer and we see more sun on the water.