Well, the salmonflies and golden stones are out in force in the Warm Springs/Trout Creek areas. We had a warm day yesterday (relatively speaking) with air temps in the low 70s. I took two great guys, Dumar and Dave, on a float from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. We put in early in the afternoon and floated and fished until it was so dark we couldn't see our flies on the water. The first half of the day produced fish in almost every stop, but not in any great numbers. Once we started getting some shade on the water late in the afternoon things really turned on. I'm not much of a numbers guy, but I think it's safe to say that Dave and Dumar rose at least 40 fish to big dry flies throughout the day. Most fish were in the 12-16 inch range, with one biggie landed at 18" that had Dave's BIIT 5 wt bent to the cork! Chubbies and Rogue Foams in big sizes were the only flies we tossed all day. We didn't even touch the nymph rods, but most other anglers we saw were throwing indicator rigs--I guess they didn't get the memo!
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Dry fly time!
Well, the salmonflies and golden stones are out in force in the Warm Springs/Trout Creek areas. We had a warm day yesterday (relatively speaking) with air temps in the low 70s. I took two great guys, Dumar and Dave, on a float from Warm Springs to Trout Creek. We put in early in the afternoon and floated and fished until it was so dark we couldn't see our flies on the water. The first half of the day produced fish in almost every stop, but not in any great numbers. Once we started getting some shade on the water late in the afternoon things really turned on. I'm not much of a numbers guy, but I think it's safe to say that Dave and Dumar rose at least 40 fish to big dry flies throughout the day. Most fish were in the 12-16 inch range, with one biggie landed at 18" that had Dave's BIIT 5 wt bent to the cork! Chubbies and Rogue Foams in big sizes were the only flies we tossed all day. We didn't even touch the nymph rods, but most other anglers we saw were throwing indicator rigs--I guess they didn't get the memo!