Saturday, June 18, 2011
Got there!
Went up to Hosmer on Wed. to check and see if it was accessible. It was! There is still some snow remaining near the ramp, but there is a path to launch a boat. The parking is limited, but enough for a few trucks and trailers. I typically head up here solo each year to enjoy the early season brook trout action. I was stripping buggers on clear lines and hooked a couple fish. I started with 4x tippet, got a short strike and a few follows, but no hookups. Down sized to 6x and immediately hooked a large fish. A couple head shakes and it broke off. I was a little heavy handed on the first streamer hookup of the year. The tight line take requires a gentle touch with 6x. I did land a smaller brookie of 13 or 14 inches right after Mr. big took my best fly. I switched to 5x and got a couple more strikes. I missed a real good one that I spotted and cast too. I watched as he moved and took my fly 30ft from the boat, but I was a bit quick on the draw and pulled the fly out after a quick throb of the rod tip. The wind was heavy from the northeast and conditions overall were tough. It's always fun to see some of those big brookies swimming about and even better to feel one at the end of your line.